Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Job's Tears Yulmu 율무

Hey guys, so it seems to have been a while since I last posted a recipe hasn't it? Well I only have 3 weeks for school left before I graduate and then there are exams that I really need to study for. So I am sorry for the lack of posts ><

Anyways, today I have an interesting recipe that I want to share with you guys. The recipe if for a drink. This drink is quite unique and peculiar, especially it's English name. The drink is called Job's Tears or Yulmu (율무).

Known as “Job’s tears” in English, the grain is contained within a hard, tear-shaped shell about the size of a pea (hence the name). The shells arethe size of beads and were good for making jewelry and bracelets, including rosary beads. It was in the monasteries of southern Europe where the rosary beads made from this plant came to be known as “Job’s tears.”

In Korea, they use the dried grains from the plant to make a thick tea known as yulmu cha (율무 차) or Job’s Tears tea.

There isn't much that I can say about the drink because it is mainly just a powdered drink that can be mixed with water produce a creamy grain drink.

Ingredients
2-3 tbsp of Job's Tears (yulmu 율무)
2 cups of water
pine nuts for garnish

Method
1. Wash and drain/dry a handful of kernels.
2. Brown on medium heat, stirring frequently for about 20 min; when it starts giving a pop sound, it's done.
3. Grind the grain in the food processor.
4. Put 2 cups of water into a saucepan and add 2 tbsps of the powdered Job's Tears. 5. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
6. You can add milk/honey to taste and pine nuts to garnish.

And there you have it, a healthy drink that you can indulge in on a cold day, or after you finish cooking it let it cool and serve it cold.

And sorry that I don't have photos today, but I can't fins any to my liking. Sorry xD
Anyways, until the next time that I post I hope that you all keep safe, happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment