Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hot & Spicy Chicken Buldak 불닭

Soooo I said that I would post more in the holidays, but I was't really bothered to. But I am posting today. I don't actually have that much time to blog today because i am going out later today, but I do have all morning I can devote to this, but let's hope that this won't take up too much time.

Today I am going to be posting about a meat dish. The dish is Hot & Spicy Chicken (buldak) 불닭. The literal translation of the name is fire chicken, bul means fire and dak means chicken. It is a heavily spiced chicken dish and it is known to be VERY spicy. Keep in mind that this is so spicy that even some Korean can't eat it.

Although this is a very spicy dish, I have come up with a mild version, that is not too spicy. Although if you are scared that it may be too spicy, take care in adding the marinating ingredients and taste it as you go so you only make it as spicy as you wish.

And now to move on to the recipe:

Ingredients
Chicken
6 chicken drum sticks (de-boned) or 2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp traditional corn syrup (substitution honey)
2 tbsp cheong ju (clear rice wine similar to Japanese sake)
1 stalk green onion
Black pepper ground to taste
Olive oil
Roasted sesame seeds (optional)
Marinating Sauce
3 tbsp gochugaru (red chili pepper flakes)
2 jalapenos
½ cup Korean pear (substitution Asian pear)
¼ onion
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp spicy yellow mustard
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp mul yut (substitution honey)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar

Method
1. Rinse chicken drum sticks in cold water and de-done meat with a sharp knife. Cut into 4 even pieces per leg drum -OR- rinse chicken breasts in cold water and cut into bite-size pieces
2. In a large bowl, mix chicken with soy sauce, sugar, mul yut, cheong ju and ground pepper.
3. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Puree all marinating sauce ingredients together in a blender. Once completed, leave aside for later use.
5. On a non-stick frying pan or skillet, cook prepared chicken over medium heat until meat is just short of desired completion.
6. Take out chicken only and leave excess ingredients in frying pan or skillet.
7. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix chicken with marinating sauce.
8. In the same frying pan or skillet, add olive oil to taste and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes in medium high heat.
9. Serve hot on plate.


And there you have it. A simple dish to try out when you are feeling peck-ish for spicy food.

That is it from me today, but I will try my best to post tomorrow. I might post up a recipe for what I ate for dinner, I'm going to a Korean restaurant. I hope you guys look forward to it. Until next time remember to stay warm, healthy and happy.

5 comments:

  1. Should I keep Mul Yut in the fridge after I have opened it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to, after all it is a pantry good. If you prefer you can keep it in the fridge, but it might get thicker and harder to pour out when you need to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I'd rather not keep it in the fridge unless I have to. I've made this recipe once so far with great success. Thanks for sharing it. I only put in 2 tbsp gochugaru (as I was nervous it would be too hot). I'm going for 3 tbsp gochugaru next time.

    Some recipes for Bul dak also use a Korean chili paste called Kochujan. I'm guessing that doesn't need to go in the fridge. I would welcome your advice on that as I've never stored this before.
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my pleasure to help. Bul dak is meant to be very spicy but it is always good to adjust it for your own tastes.

    Kochujan or gochujang is a spicy chili and soybean paste and does not need to be stored in the fridge. In fact by storing it in the pantry you can smell the goodness when you open up the tub.

    And good luck further exploring Korean food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete